29 January 2010

Sick and Beautiful

I've been feeling a little sick these past couple days. That waking up achy feeling and the going to sleep stuffy feeling and the runny nose all day. But I've been able to get up and get work done and go the library (more on that). And I've been eating and getting lots of liquids.

Not debilitating, just uncomfortable.

Yesterday, Tess and I walked down to the Botanic Gardens. Unfortunately, a lot of construction workers with their machines also decided to go at the same time, so it was a lot more rumbly-er than I had expected and all the greenhouses were closed, but we walked around for about 10 minutes. It was nice, but would have been nicer if it had been a quiet escape.

Also! I bought a hat! It was only 3 pounds.

Classes are still going well. I did much better on my Magic paper comparing magic and science and my tutor, Rory, said so. We had a really good conversation during class and we went through my paper and discussed all the points and the reasons behind the argument that I made. I really liked that. It was pretty laid back in terms of environment, but rigorous in terms of discussion.

I also went to the library today, the Radcliffe Camera, and read for most of the afternoon about medieval medicine for my next paper for Magic.

I wish I could take pictures inside the library, because it is beautiful in there. There are busts on top of almost all the bookcases, small curved staircases. I was on the upper floor and the ceiling opened up into the dome. There were intricate marble carvings all over the archways and ceiling and balcony railings.

I am really glad that I went to study there, but I still want to see more of the other parts of the other libraries as well.

And then I came back, took a small rest. Then I looked out the window and saw this as dusk settled in.

One thing I had heard about Oxford was about it's "dreaming spires." I knew it referred to the towers that rose above most of the other buildings.

But I don't think I had really seen them until tonight.

P.S.- More pictures are up from the past week.

1 comment: