21 January 2010

Nesting

Last night I went to jujutsu, got there on time and was there for 2 hours. The class cost 2.50 and everyone there was very friendly and helpful. They were also very helpful and thankfully I wasn't the only beginner in the class. The only real problem I had was understanding sometimes when other people were talking (because of their accent), but I think it was mutual.

The class started with about 25 minutes of stretching, followed by practicing (learning for me) falls and rolls. Then we did warm-ups of attack and defence stances, foot movements with snake wrist grabs which were then combined with punches and kicks.

Then, the teacher, David, probably in his late 40s, worked with the 4 new students, teaching us wrist crushes, arms locks, and strangle defenses.

It was really nice to be outside of CMRS and meeting new people. And to be getting some physical activity. I think I will definitely go back next week.


Also, today I noticed a pair of birds building a nest in the tree right outside my window. I took a picture of one of them. Does anyone know what kind it is? I also notice that is had kind of a bluish streak on its tail and I thought I noticed a streak/ spots of green (just 2 spots potentially near its wings), maybe.

I feel a little like these birds, collecting things from all around, slowly making myself a home here, even though it won't be there for long and I'll be somewhere else next spring. In the meantime though, to continue the metaphor, what's going to hatch?

I definitely need to do more reading and I have postcards to write. My tutor yesterday for Magic class told me that my paper could have been much better and that I need to read more, so I will. I'm glad he was up front about it and I got that immediate feedback. That was really helpful.

Off to lunch now!

1 comment:

  1. just dont watch your twigs drop three stories and then have to go get them.

    ReplyDelete