12 January 2010

First Seminar, More Potatoes

Today, I woke up a little late (11 ish) and went to lunch where they had mashed potatoes (I think I'm going to eat a lot of potatoes). We had mashed potatoes and vegetable casserole with dumplings (the casserole was not too good).

I then walked to a community center about a mile away (about 25 minutes) where I might be joining a ju jitsu club that they have once a week. I think it will be a good way to meet British people and to see more than just the city centre. The walk was along a well lit and very populated main road with a police station on it (in case you were worried about my safety). I found it very easily and I think I will be going tomorrow.

After that I came back and puttered around a little bit until 3 when I had my first real class, my Shakespeare seminar. The tutor is a man from Texas, professor Hanna, and there are 9 students in the class, Ally, Tess, and Julia included. The tutor mainly talked about Shakespeare's life and his works in general. He said in later classes he won't talk as much and we will be discussing Twelfth Night next class and we have to write a 15-16 page research paper for the end of the semester. We only meet once a week every Tuesday at 3.

Then hung out in Ally's room for a little while with her and Tess. We did some logic puzzles and looked for places to see live music. Then we went to dinner, Indian dishes tonight with potatoes and rice and spinach and vegetables.

I think later tonight we will either be going out (where, I don't know) or staying in and reading Twelfth Night together.

Some people are going to Portugal this weekend and I am invited to go, but I'm not sure if I will. I think I might instead go with Tess with a group that does wilderness and park conservation outside of Oxford. We will see.

2 comments:

  1. i think in england you are required to putter for a certain amount of minutes each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so. I've been doing pretty good with that, I think.

    ReplyDelete