30 November 2009

Maybe a focus?

I think I may want to focus my psychology studies or start to focus them on something: Human Sexuality.

I'm not sure where exactly, but thinking this is definitely a step forward from where I was before (not knowing what I wanted to study in Psychology at all).

I've come to this conclusion because of some reading I did over break. While doing research for my lab report for developmental, I came across an article about human sexuality, I don't remember what one, but I remember reading it and being really interested in it. Even though this article was exactly the same structure and format of all the other articles I have been reading for 3 years, I felt really engaged by it. I wanted to understand their methods and their results and I put a lot more time into understanding the article than I felt I really had for other psych articles.

I read a bunch of articles this past week, ranging from masturbation to gender identity to non-consensual sex to sex within relationships. I feel like there is so much here I would like to study and that I can see potential paths to follow: sex therapist, educator, psychiatrist. For the first time in a while I feel much more engaged by psychology.

This is also more than just a lustful, immature desire to talk and read about sex. Seriously, I was reading journal articles about it; if I wanted to see explicit sex, I could have easily perused rest of the Internet.

And sexuality is something I've thought about before. Last year Megan and I talked about her human sexuality class and I felt like she was learning a lot of interesting things.

And I've also thought about how sexuality is such a major influencing factor in our culture, yet it seems to be taught in a very puritanical way. People are embarrassed about sex even though it's all around them. And I feel that almost everyone has some sexual aspect about them, so it's not like this topic is impractical to study or irrelevant.

I like this, this feeling of knowing something, of figuring something out. 

1 comment:

  1. hey,

    i am glad you are finding your passion. when you know, you know and don't let anyone tell you different. you may be the next kinsey.

    ReplyDelete