09 February 2010

Turf, Homework

Since my last post I have gone out to the Turf Tavern, traipsed with ponies and gotten stressed out about getting homework done.

On Thursday night, we went out to O'Neill's to hear the band (because they have live music every Thursday and Saturday). I'm pretty sure they only have cover bands come to play which is okay, but I would still like to go out and see some original music by local bands. The band had a bass (think cello-esque) which was a pretty cool addition to the music, especially during their Led Zeppelin covers.

Friday night, I had made plans to go out to meet Tom Dugan at the Turf Tavern. For those of you who don't know, I went to high school with Tom, we were in some of the same classes, but I was never really close friends with him. At home he goes to Notre Dame, but here he is attending New College. We met up at the Turf; to find the pub we had to travel through this narrow alley and a tiny archway which opened up into an area between a bunch of buildings that was basically several seating areas around a small, squat central building where the bar was. Tom and I sat and talked for about an hour and a half. It was weirdly coincidental that we went to schools so close to each other, but it wasn't too weird hanging out with him. He also gave me a tour of New College, which was anything but new because it was built in the 1300s-ish. It was really impressive, much more so than St. Peters. Old dark medieval corridors, high stone walls which were connected to the medieval city walls. It was kind of what I was imagining all the schools in Oxford would look like, so I'm glad I got to go. After that I met up with some friends from CMRS, we hung out at the Turf, explored more of the alleys that were kind of like secret entrances to the pub, and then went and played some Jenga.

Then, Saturday, I went with Ally, Tess, and Julia to Port Meadow and the Perch (pictures are up from that). Another beautiful day on Port Meadow and going to the Perch (a B&B/ restaurant) we walked through some countryside-ish landscape, with large hills and gray, empty fields along the path and in the distance. It was a long walk, but quite beautiful.

That night, I stayed in and watch West Side story with a bunch of people and worked on some homework.

Sunday rolled around, felt pretty lethargic all day, found out the books I needed to read for my next magic paper weren't going to be coming in, did a little reading, worked a little on my paper. In the evening, for our friend Anna's birthday we went to a little Thai restaurant called Angrid Thai (which we affectionately renamed Angry Thai), had some delicious pad thai for dinner (also got it again last night as a post-dinner take out snack) and then came back and worked on homework late into the night, missing the Superbowl.

Yesterday (I'm really sorry this is so long. I need to either post more often or cut out some detail) went to the library in the basement of the Radcliffe Camera. Medieval dungeony kind of library with huge stone pillars and arches.

I've also been thinking a little more about what I want to do this summer. I've been looking at internships/ jobs related to woodworking and I am still interested in the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps. But this post is long enough already, so more on that later.

And if you've sent me a message recently, I will respond soon, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. always a small world, plus its really cold in our house today.

    ReplyDelete